How To Create A Custom Drop Down List In Excel By Using Data Validation?
In our previous countif example, the user wanted a spreadsheet that would count each one the projects at the bottom of the spreadsheet. This example could be enhanced by a creating drop down list using data validation.
Create a customized drop down list by using the Data menu or ribbon options. In Excel 2007:
- Highlight the range of cells where you want to see the drop down list appear.
- Click the Data option on the ribbon. Select Data Validation. A drop down list appears. Select Data Validation again. The Data Validation window appears.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Change the Allow option to List
- In the source group, type the options you want to see in the drop down list. Separate the options with a comma. Notice no space appears before or after the comma.
- Click Ok.
- Click in any of the cells highlighted and notice the drop down list appear!