Teachers or parents that explain the importance of learning about life cycles help children understand why all living things have a life cycle and can teach kids to care for the environment and for people. Using a life cycle chart in your lesson is a great way for students to track each stage that occurs during the lifetime of the living organism.
There are many ways to use the chart and by having a handy customizable template, you will be able to use it in many lessons in a classroom setting or for homeschooling. The life cycle chart template is available here to download for free. It is compatible with Microsoft 2007 and is easy to use.
How to Use the Life Cycle Chart Template
- Download and save the template to your computer. Open the document and you can start customizing the fields with the information you want.
- The template has six boxes you can customize. Five in a circular style with arrows between them and one box in the middle. Start by entering details for the one in the middle. Type in the name of the subject being studied, for example; the life cycle of a butterfly.
- For the other five boxes surrounding it, start from the top following the arrows clockwise to record the stages of each cycle from beginning to end. For the butterfly stage one is the egg, stage two is the caterpillar hatches from the egg, stage three the caterpillar turns into a chrysalis, stage four a beautiful butterfly emerges and stage five the butterfly dies.
Tips for Using the Life Cycle Chart Template
- You can decide to do the life cycle lesson together as a group where each stage is discussed and students then record all observations as written on the blackboard.
- The students can use the life cycle chart on their own and write about each stage as they understand them. At the end of the lesson you have a question and answer section for each stage.
- Students can be divided into groups helping each other in understanding the stages.
The life cycle chart template is easy to customize and can be used in any lesson whether for the life cycle of a butterfly or another living organism. It is fun, educational and the template can be utilized many times during the school year.
Download: Life Cycle Chart